Wednesday, January 30, 2013

A Blog on Blogging

I just finished up a post on another blog, so hopefully that will get the wheels turning for a blog on blogging. My experience with blogging is still limited at this point. I started my first blog with my two best friends less than a month ago and this blog only a few weeks ago. My expectation prior to starting any blog was that I would struggle to find anything to write about worth publishing to the internet at large, and that expectation has been mostly confirmed. What has surprised me is that it isn't necessarily a problem. I see now that a blog does not necessarily have to be writing for a mass audience. Both of the blogs I am writing for now have very specific audiences for a very specific purpose.
This blog exists as a way to share ideas on English for New Media with my classmates and professor. I don't expect that blog readers all over the internet care about how I use Facebook or whether I own a digital camera or not. I'm not writing to gain a mass following. I'm writing to share ideas and perspectives with my classmates.
Similarly, in my blog with my two friends, I'm only writing for them. Anybody else who stumbles onto our page will probably not think our inside jokes or stories about our days are very entertaining. The blog is just a medium for us to write overly long messages to each other or post videos and pictures of ourselves that we wouldn't want to publish on Facebook.
Right now, I have no interest in a personal blog. I don't really need to share my daily thoughts with the whole world, but when I start teaching, I do think I would like to start one. I'd like to share ideas for teaching English with other teachers, but again, that type of blog would have a specific purpose and audience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment