Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Get a [Social Media] Life!

My first lesson in social media was this: create the account first, then ask for parent permission. My great trauma in middle school was not having an MSN messenger account like the other kids. I created a persuasive powerpoint presentation on the advantages of joining (a happier daughter, faster typing skills), but my parents didn't want their kids spending much time on the computer in the first place. Over a year later, my dad finally caved, though I had learned my lesson. When my friends started talking about Facebook, I knew I had to get one as soon as possible, before my parents had time to forbid it. In March of 2007, I set up my account and used it periodically. As more of my friends began creating accounts, I started spending more time on the site. These days, I'm grateful for the site as a way to stay in touch with family and friends from home. I don't often post statuses, but I do post quite a few pictures. I also post to friends' timelines and keep connected with FB chat. Check it out here.

Facebook was enough for me for the next five years, but I finally "jumped on the Twitter bandwagon" (my first tweet, incidentally) last January. My brother has informed me that I don't use it very well, and it's true. I don't have much to tweet about, but I do check it every day. Anyone who follows me would be greatly appreciated. It might help stop my little bro from comparing his 237 followers to my 55.

Blogging has been my newest foray into new new media, and this is actually the second of two blogs I contribute to. Over Christmas break, my two best friends from high school and I started our own blog to keep in touch while we are away at school. Unfortunately,  we posted some pictures of us from middle school, and I can't let you all see those without humiliating myself. No link to that - sorry!

To a lesser extent, I've started using Pinterest and Goodreads over the last year. I love them both, but I try not to spend too much time there. Pinterest can eat up an afternoon pretty quickly, but I've found some cool stuff there. If you want some fantastic book recommendations  check me out on Goodreads.That's about all for me. No MySpace. No YouTube. Just the basics.

No comments:

Post a Comment